Monday, December 17, 2012

Itchy Brown Girl.

It's been 2 or 3 months since Ella deCastro Baron(Itchy Brown Girl) presented in  front of my class. I've been reading her book since then. I had in front of me a person who has fallen from the top of a huge cascade and survived, and yet I didn't asked her questions related to the book when I had the opportunity; I want to snap at my face so hard. The good thing is that I have her signature in my book.

My favorite readings in her book are "Archipelago"(where she falls from the top of the cascade, and her inheritable skin disease, eczema, starts awakening in her recovery), "Jesus Action Figure"(kind of funny having an action figure of Jesus manufactured in China), and "The Belle Curve"( it made me kind of angry knowing there was such a grading system in California. Limited number of students who can have an A; there was always 1-2 geniuses in each class, meaning there  is no incentive in improving your grade if the same bunch of students get the A's).

This book has been a big deal to me, because my english teacher once said that the book' passages were like big blogs. I could take a tip or two from the passages. Ella has written poems, some food recipees, and her experiences dealing with her eczema. I could write about halo halo, egg soup, my worst experiences, and my best experiences. 

I treasure my Itchy Brown Girl book, the fact that she keeps strong and move forward after her painful attacks of eczema is admirable. Hope she comes back to Southwestern College soon. This time I'm prepared to ask her questions about the book.

Here is a video of what eczema is, and some possible home remedies:





No comments:

Post a Comment